My cooking goal as a parent, especially as a parent managing allergies like fpies, is getting the most flavor with the least effort and lowest cost.
While during the kid-free phase of my adulthood exploring complex cooking methods was a relaxing hobby, as a parent it is not. Standing over the counter stirring with an infant pulling at your pants Ian pleasant for either the parent or the baby. So, low effort essential is great but no effort is even better.
Which is why I present a recipe for two roast chickens (7 lbs each).
Prep time: 20 min
Cooking time: 2.5 to 3 hours.
- Cut carrots and celery into 1 inch pieces
- Rough cut 2 med/lg onions
- Mince 4 cloves garlic
- Preheat oven to 350
- Wash, pat dry and stuff chickens with onion, garlic, carrots and celery until full. Mix in some rosemary
- Cut 8 med potatoes into med wedges or cubes. I don’t peel.
- Mix potatoes with remaining vegetables and add 4 more minced garlic cloves
- Separately, whisk 3Tbsp olive oil with juice of 3/4 of one lemon
- Toss veggies with oil and lemon, thyme, salt and pepper
- Spread veggies on bottom of roasting pan, under rack
- Add 1 cup water
- Put chickens on rack and tuck a slice of bacon under the skin on each breast – push in with back of knife or spoon. Rub with olive oil and season with rosemary.
- Place on middle rack in oven and cover loosely with aluminum foil
- Remove when proper temperature and let cool at least 10 minutes
Please comment below if you try it and have any feedback.