I am pretty proud of these muffins. I knew my children loved the pumpkin spice flavors, but didn’t want to get them sick of pumpkin. I also knew I wanted to create a healthy breakfast food that was low is sugar. While I have continued to play with the amounts of each ingredient, we have enjoyed these so much that I decided to share it with all of you. I chose buckwheat as the main ingredient for my breakfast food. Buckwheat is a fantastic source of protein, and the dark color makes my kids think they are eating something decadent since they have seen chocolate desserts. It’s also NOT WHEAT! Its a silly name for a great gluten free grain.
After looking at general recipes, I decided to take a stab at creating my first recipe completely from scratch. I have played with the amount of sugar and of course, the more sugar the sweeter they are. But even with just one cup total, (one and a half tablespoons per muffin) they are pretty tasty.
1 ½ cups Buckwheat flour
½ cup sugar
½ cup Brown sugar
2 tsp Cinnamon
½ tsp Ginger
1/4 tsp Clove
½ tsp Nutmeg
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp Sea salt
1 tsp Vanilla
3 tablespoons Flaxseed, mixed with 2 tablespoons warm water and allowed to soak for two minutes (2 tablespoons are fake egg, the other is just good for you and the muffins)
½ cup canola oil
2/3 cup milk or milk substitute
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Mix all of the dry ingredients together, then add the wet ingredients, mix with a spatula and use a soup ladle to spoon it into a muffin pan. After about 18 minutes, check your muffins. In my experience, baking time can vary based on altitude, weather, humidity or your hairstyle. Baking chemistry is weird. With the current humidity, I decided to use non-stick muffin pans instead of my beloved silicone cupcake cups because the muffins have been a little too flaky to pop out of the cupcake ridges. I was thinking of using a non-stick spray on a regular muffin pan to see if it would work as well, but since I minimize the number of ingredients, do not have this on hand right now.
As part of my ongoing effort to price out my recipes, I punched the main ingredients into my increasingly complicated spreadsheet. The whole batch cost less than $1.50 to make.