Happy Fathers Day to all those loving fathers out there! For a lot of us, summer is a time for grilling. In recent years, I’ve become more concerned about my ingestion of carcinogens and conscious of the disproportionate amount of meat I consume. Lately, I’ve been seeking a way to take my ratio of meat to vegetable consumption from 4-to-1 and switch it to 1-to-4. One habit that has helped is eating vegan breakfasts and lunches. Today, inspired by the grill and motivated by a heavy conscience, I thought it would be awesome to go vegetarian on my electric barbecue.
- Barbecued gluten free pizza bites
- Barbecued portobello mushrooms
- Sauteed spinach and onions (same as portobello link above)
- Mashed potatoes (vegan recipe below)
- Smokey chardonnay or sauvignon blanc (I wish I had recipes for these)
Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 5-6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/4 Tbsp Olive oil and/or dairy free Smart Balance or other substitute
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- Garlic powder or finely chopped garlic
- Onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Boil water with tap salt
- Add potatoes and let boil until tender
- Strain and leave in strainer while adding oil to the warm pot
- Heat garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper in oil on medium heat until fragrant
- Stir in potatoes then add vegetable broth
- Smash and add more broth, as needed, for desired consistency
- Add ground pepper and more salt to taste
- Serve and enjoy!
Have a safe, healthy and fun Father’s Day!
Comment below to give everyone more ideas for this or other recipes for gluten free, allergy free and FPIES families.